Electronic Visas - India Goes OnlineAs of Thursday 27th November, the Indian Government announced that they are issuing electronic tourist visas to foreign nationals entering the country. Whilst this new ETA (Electronic Travel Authority) offers a visa on arrival facility for passport holders of 43 countries, including; Australia, USA, New Zealand, Russia and Germany; the list does not include citizens of the UK, Canada, France, Italy, Spain and other neighbouring territories.
See the full list of countries eligible for the online Indian ETA.
This move to an online visa provision follows other countries that offer visas online; such as the recent implementation of the Turkish e-Visa, and the now well established, Sri Lankan ETA, Australian ETA and American ESTA.
It is not clear yet whether the new Indian ETA will expand to allow applicants from other countries, but for now the application system for UK citizens remains unchanged. The traveller must still obtain their full visa directly from the Indian Embassy in Birmingham or London. Please note that when applying for your Indian visa with us you will need:
- Indian Embassy Visa fee: £139.00
- Passport with 2 blank pages and at least 6 months validity
- Recent 5 x 5cm visa photos (x2)
- Completed application form(s)
- IF YOU ARE a registered social worker, public sector worker, government official or military personnel – a letter from your employer stating the purpose of your trip and expected return to work date.
Please note that this information is for British Passport holders; those with different countries of citizenship may be different. The Indian Embassy reserves the right to ask for additional documentation, as required.